Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Slang

Slang can be some of the most creative use of language.  Having your characters use slang can be much more colorful than using cliches or over-used phrases.  Don't say it's 'as cold as ice.'  Try having a character say something more in tune with who they are. 'It's colder than a witch's titty.'  Instead of 'I gotta pee,' maybe your character would say, 'I gotta go paint the snow yellow.'


There are all sorts of slang terms for things.  Many of them bodily functions, sexual acts, parts of the body,.. dropping the kids off at the pool; having my red dollar days; choking the snake; my one-eyed trouser snake; not the brightest bulb; etc.  I heard a really good one today I"d never heard before, "Ooh, she looked like Chewbacca after a fight down there!"  Try coming up with your own completely unique slang terms.  Make them up totally from scratch.  Remember unique!  And funny is always good...


Think about a context in which some character would use it... try expanding the scene into more.

No comments:

Post a Comment