Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Constrained Writing Exercise #4

OK, I promised a harder exercise a few back.  Then I suggested a writing exercise of a short-short story of exactly 100 words.


Ready to drive yourself a little crazy?  Now write a short-short story of exactly 100 words... and... don't use the same word twice.  Yes, that's right!  100 unique words.


Now, the results will get a little poetic sounding, because you can't use the same word twice, and that includes pronouns, the's, prepositions, my, your, his, her... it's tough referring to the same person several times, or doing on in first person only being able to use on I, my, me...


After you finish, an easy way to double check yourself to make sure you didn't duplicate a word... enter your entire 100 word story in a spreadsheet in one column, one word per cell.  When you finish, sort it alphabetically.   A quick survey down the column will show you any duplicates.


Try it.  It's fun to think about different words to use.  It'll get you out of your comfort vocabulary.  If you love your result, share it with me at SMHIOF@aol.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment